Monday, February 28, 2011

Time Just To Be


I went to a Knitting Convention last week.  It was called Stitches.  While I've been knitting for nearly nine years I've never thought of myself as one who would go to a convention just for knitting.  I mean, what would I do all day?  I'm not much for sitting in a class of a hundred and learning how to form the toe of a sock (although now that I want to make socks I see that it would be a good thing to know). And really, how long can you look at yarn?  (It turns out you can look at yarn all day.)   But it wasn't the yarn that really appealed to me it was the time away.

I left on Friday afternoon and returned on Sunday.  I spent three days and two nights without having to be MOM.  Now I love being a mom.  I am at my core a nurturer and the joy that I get in helping my children grow and seeing my son progress is something that I never quite experienced in my work.  But when you spend your days caring for others, especially those that need a lot of care, you can forget to care for yourself.  Your identity becomes wrapped up in the other.  I am Mom, Matteo's Mom and Malia's Mom.  I am rarely just Genevieve.  This was my time to just be me.

When I left the house on Friday I told myself that for the next few days I would not worry about the kids, Patrick is a more than capable father.  I would not worry about my friends with me at the conference, they are all capable adults.  I would not rush or worry about being at the right place at the right time or seeing everything.  I would take my time and enjoy each moment.  If I missed a beautiful skein of hand-dyed yarn it would be ok.  There would be more yarn next year.  And as you can see I found plenty of beautiful hand-dyed yarn.

It was easier than I thought to let go of being Mom for a few days.  I left the worry and stress that goes with it at home and for three whole days I was just me.  I was still a mother, you can never give that up, but I was also a knitter, a friend and a woman.  I was able to visit with those parts of me that aren't wrapped up in being Mom.  It was refreshing.  I came back happy and recharged.  It reminded me of the importance of taking time  just to be.  I will endeavor to visit with me more often and not wait until the next knitting convention comes along.  I will take more time just to be.

2 comments:

  1. Well done, Genevieve, it is not easy to step outside the 'labels' we put on ourselves and just be 'me'- and as you say Patrick is a more than capable father. One tip, why not have a 10 minute time for yourself each day - I just lie on my back on the floor in the louge and it is amazing how energising that 10 minutes becomes. Love to Malia and Matteo from Great Uncle Patrick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you came Genevieve. And I'm really happy we had time to talk and just hang out. You are a wonderful mom and you deserved the few days to be you. Love to your family, Lynne

    ReplyDelete